Monday, February 14, 2011

106.5 - Last Minute Hearts of Love


As so often happens when I can't sleep, that switch in my brain gets stuck in the ON position and ideas and images begin swirling through my head at warp speed. Experience has taught me that it's just not worth the fight to try to make myself fall asleep, and besides, I do some of my best thinking when the world and my house is dreamily quiet. So, last night, at about midnight, I got up to make these for my family, since we'd already devoured all the chocolate covered strawberries I'd made over the weekend. And, as grown as my boys (that includes my sweet husband), like to think they are, they love candy treats as much now as when they were toddlers.

Scrounging around my pantry, I dug out a few old candy molds (available at any craft store), took a couple of bars of chocolate off the shelf, and presto - Last Minute Hearts of Love for the awesome dudes in my house...who loves you, babies?







Last Minute Hearts of Love

Candy molds of any shape
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
4 oz white chocolate
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate

In a microwave safe dish, place chocolate in microwave at medium power (50%) for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Remove and stir. If not melted, return to microwave and repeat heating step, stirring ever 30 seconds, as scorching can occur. When small lumps remain, remove and continue to stir to complete melting.

Using a small zip-lock bag (snack size works well), fill with melted chocolate and snip a small end of the tip of the bag and carefully fill each mold to the top. Lift mold and gently tap it on the counter to release any air bubble. Refrigerate until set then unmold.

At this point, you can leave the hearts undecorated, or use a little more melted chocolate to pipe designs on the hearts.




Candy molds of any shape
4 oz