Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 103! Malaysia - Mee Udang (Malay Prawn Noodles) - Up Next, Maldives


I am a total sucker for noodles of most any kind. So, when it came time to find a recipe from Malaysia, I was delighted to discover many, many different noodles dishes. My friend Lucy, who has traveled extensively throughout Asia (and whose lantern photograph is pictured below), suggested I find a prawn and noodle recipe, which I have done for tonight's Mee Udang (Prawn Noodles) meal.

This morning, my son and I set off for H Mart (imagine Cosco or BJ's, but Asian) and spent several hours cruising the produce, noodle and spice isles, recipe in hand. Then, we just hung around, watching the guys in the HUGE sea food section un-crate every kind of fish, shellfish and seaweed both imaginable and unimaginable, while trying all sorts of delicious samples set up at stations throughout the store. We came home with all the ingredients I needed for tonight's dish, plus lots of other goodies we couldn't pass up. I have determined that H Mart is almost as dangerous as a shoe store, except that I don't have to sneak the goods past my husband and into my closet...excuse me, but doesn't every girl need 10 pairs of boots?

Located in South East Asia, Malaysia is a federal constitutional monarchy that is made up of 13 states and 3 federal territories. The country is separated by the South China Sea into two regions: Peninsular Malaysia and Malaysian Borneo. The country shares its borders with Thailand, Indonesia and Brunei. It's maritime borders encompass Singapore, Vietnam and the Philippines. Malaysia gained independence in 1965, and boasts one of the best economies in Asia, as the country is home to abundant natural resources. In fact, the country is so bio-diverse as to claim 8,000 species of flowering plants, 2,000 trees, 800 orchids and 200 different kinds of palms. In addition, Malaysia is home to countless animals who thrive in the rich environment.

Malaysia's multi-ethnic culture and location along the ancient spice route, means that cuisine is influenced by many traditions, among them Malay, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Javanese, Sumatran and Filipino. Rice, chili, seafood, fresh vegetables and fruit are all commonly eaten in this beautiful country.
.






Mee Udang - Malay Prawn Noodles (Adapted from RasaMalaysia)
(Serves 2 - Just double for a family of 4)

1 package (soft) yellow noodles
8 large Sea Prawns
5 Tbsp. tomato sauce
4 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups water
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
6 shallots, peeled and sliced
Cooking oil
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. chili paste
Light soy sauce to taste

Garnish

3 lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and halved
2 calamansi lime, halved (I used regular limes)
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped
1/4 onion, thinly sliced
Fried crispy shallots

Blend the diced tomatoes with water in a blender or food processor and set aside.
Blanch the yellow noodles and set aside.
Heat enough oil in the wok to deep fry the sliced shallots till golden brown, set aside
Leave about 2 Tbsp. of oil in wok, saute garlic until fragrant. Add prawn and stir fry with 1 Tbsp. of light soy sauce for 1 minute.
Pour in the tomato puree. Add tomato sauce and chili paste. Bring the gravy to a simmer under medium heat. Add sugar and light soy sauce to taste.
Add in the yellow noodle to the simmering gravy. Mix well.
Serve up and garnish with onion, spring onion, egg, lettuce, lime and fried shallot.

Final Assessment: Hands down, this was one of my all time favorite meals and that was resoundingly 2nd'd, 3rd'd and 4th'd by the men in my family. Not only was this easy to make but the combination of spicy, sweet, sour and seafood was just - orgasmic...no more need be said.

7 comments:

Young Werther said...

Yum!!

And there are lots of other types of noodles which would go with your great recipe ... Hor Fun (the flat ones) or Bee Hoon (the skinny rice vermicelli)!

Karen said...

H-Mart is the shiznit...didn't I say so ? Love it. And this dish looks absolutely fanstastic !

sadie said...

Thanks for the noodle tip! I'll get them next time I hit H Mart - this time, I'm bringing a cooler~!

Medifast Coupons said...

Lovely recipe, this is going to be so good. I don't have time today but I sure know what we are having tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe and sharing.

sadie said...

Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you enjoy it - you can cut back on the hot pepper paste if you're not into food that's too hot or spicy - otherwise, enjoy!!

Astrid said...

Look at those yummy prawns! I LOOVE prawns, but am slithly allergic to the prawns we get here. Definitely an interesting dish I'd love to try.

sadie said...

I'll bet you could substitute any protein or leave it out and add more vegetables!